I have a confession to make… I have never really seen the point in making New Years Resolutions. It always seemed like a waste of time. But this year will be the year of major changes (no longer a student and now a full-time business owner) so I thought I would give it a try. So here are my top ten “goals” for 2016.
- Finish College. I never thought I would make it this far. Due to my mental illness, school has always been a struggle in some way or another. A year ago I started down the endeavor to complete a Business Marketing program and in four short months, this journey will be complete (Lord, willing!).
- Write More Often. I have always enjoyed writing. I always wanted to have a blog where I could write inspirational posts and share encouragement through my writing. Defying Shadows is nearing two years of existence and this year I am hoping to write much more often.
- Growing My Business. I run a small Social Media Marketing company called AIM Social Media Marketing (shameless plug..). With only four months of school left, I plan to put all my spare time into making a real go at being a business owner!
- Read More. I remember being in grade school and even the first two years of high school and reading constantly. I would stay up till the wee hours of the morning promising myself just one more chapter and then I would sleep. It has honestly been forever since I read a book and I miss it. I plan to make this part of my daily routine this year.
- Exercise More Often. I know how clique this is and I almost didn’t put this down but I made a compromise. I didn’t want to put down a value of weight to lose, so I thought about what might make me feel better about myself. I decided exercising would do that for me.
- Be Debt Free. From the time I was a young girl, my parents were always driving down the importance of being debt free and financially sound. With College Loans lurking in the unknown of the second half of my year, I decided this is something I would really want to accomplish. How great would it be to walk into 2017 debt free?!
- Be Published in more places than 1. This past year I have been published several times on The Mighty. I loved seeing my work helping people outside of my normal reach, and I decided that this year I will aim to continue down this path!
- Finish the last 11 (unread) books of the Bible. Back in 2011-2012, I was in Bible College and made myself a promise to read the Bible in its entirety. But not just a quick read. I wanted to study every book of the Bible. Although I have my regular devotions and Bible reading, this goal hasn’t been worked on in quite a while. I cannot wait to see what else I discover as I go down this path.
- Volunteer Somewhere Weekly. I used to volunteer all the time at church, in the community, and even at school. Life got away from me these past few years and this hasn’t been a priority. I need to change this and I want to give back in 2016.
- Join a Community Group or Class. Being out of school and working from home really doesn’t open much opportunity to mingle and meet new people. Who knows, maybe I will learn a new language, play a sport or find a new hobby!
What are your New Years Resolutions for 2016? I would love to hear them in the comments!