Ah – it’s finally Friday! Which means it’s finally the weekend. The thing we’ve been most excited for all week. As the weekend approaches, this usually means that most of us will hvae a drink, or a few. But if you’re one of those people who are partaking in consuming alcohol, I”ll be giving a few tips on how to drink responsibly.
- Have a glass of water in between alcoholic drinks (alcohol dehydrates the body)
- Eat before or during consuming alcohol. Food makes the body absorb alcohol more slowly.
- Pace yourself. Take smaller sips rather than big gulps.
- Monitor how much alcohol you’re drinking and what you’re drinking.
- Know how to refuse a drink.
- Drink with a group of friends – they can keep an eye out for you.
- Don’t drink if you’re not in a positive mindset – alcohol is a depressant, consuming it can cause your emotions to worsen.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended
- Talk with your doctor before consuming alcohol to ensure it is okay to mix alcohol with your prescription(s).
- Have a plan in place for a ride home. Whether this be a taxi, a family member or friend picking you up, or having a DD (designated driver).
Alex Newton is a nursing student and mental health advocate. She grew up in a small town and plans on moving to London, England one day and open up her own health practice. She has a cat named Maya who she adopted whilst going through some difficulties. She’s a daughter, sister, and warrior who enjoys a nice cuppa tea.