5 Steps to Motivate Yourself
Have you been putting something off? We all know how it goes, part of us telling ourselves to stop procrastinating and just focus our energy on getting the task finished. The other part of us is telling us I just don’t won’t to do it. There have been plenty of times in my life whether it is at college or university to doing housework or exercise, when I have been in this situation where I have lost my focus on a task and just wanted to brush it off and take the easy option out.
Even the most motivated of us can feel unmotivated at times. In fact, sometimes we get into such a slum that even thinking about making positive changes seems to difficult. You’re stuck and unable to make progress on what matters to you. You feel lazy, tired and deflated.
To make things you want to do or achieve happen, you need Motivation. Motivation is what drives you towards a goal, gets you up in the morning, and keeps you working through a task, determined to succeed when things get tough.
Knowing how to find effective motivational strategies overall is really important to getting stuff done.
So how can you remain motivated in a simple way that can work every single day? Below are 5 ways to motivate yourself
- Moving the goal posts. When you set a goal you make a decision to act upon what you want. This gives you a direction to focus on, one that’s measurable and has an end point; all factors which can help a person stay motivated. In the end a big goal has a big effect and can create a lot of motivation
- Remember your successes. Never quit when you experience a setback or frustration. Write down your successes. Consider using a journal of some kind since it can be easy to forget your successes. Success could be just around the corner.
- Make sure you have fun. Create a fun in a task, that way you’ll stay motivated to do and finish it.
- Be gentle with yourself. Stop comparing the accomplishments in your life with those of your friends and family. The story you create in your head will never be as good, and the reality will never be as bad. The moment you can embrace this notion, you’re free. Free to explore. Free to follow what excites you. Free to ignore what they do, or how they do it, and focus on you.
- Choose to be happy. Happy people are easily motivated. Happiness is your birth right so don’t settle for anything else.
Amanda Ogden is from Sydney Australia, and has spent the past 13 years working within the welfare industry in both administration and case management assisting people with mental health issues, mild intellectual disabilities, acquired brain injuries, drug & alcohol, homelessness gain employment. She also loves travelling, creating jewellery, music, friends and family.
One thought on “5 Steps to Motivate Yourself”
A great message to start my day. I have been putting off writing my novel because hubby and I have just moved to another state and we are extremely busy and tired. This message is just what I needed to get going again. Thank you.