There are many ways to deal with or cope with anxiety. The problem is sometimes in a time of anxiety we just can’t think of what to do. I have had anxiety and panic attacks since I was quite young. I can remember being freaked at a movie theatre at around age seven, panicking at a sleepover at age twelve and having test anxiety all through my school career. I have learned some handy ways to cope over the years and one great thing about most of these coping mechanisms is that they can be free or readily available and accessible.
Here are some of my life hacks to get out of anxious mode…
- Get outside- go for a walk or simply go somewhere to be in the fresh air. If your walking the exercise is great on its own! But you can also do some mindful or grounding exercises while you are out there to help take your mind off of the disturbing thoughts. You can think of things you are feeling (sun on face, feet on ground, etc.), list 5 things you see or hear or notice what you smell.
- Talk to a friend – Often when I panic I call or text a friend or family member. After talking it out I am often quick to realize that what I am worried about is a little irrational or I am just able to calm hearing someone else’s perspective.
- DO IT ANYWAY – Sometimes when your anxious or fearful getting out and doing that exact thing your scared of yields results you never expected!
- Breathe! – Take time out to focus on your breath. A few deep breaths in and out can be so calming.
- Spend time with others – spending time with people you love can bring love, laughs, fun and a much needed break!
- Take care of you – Take quiet time, take a day off, eat well, sleep well- taking care of you is so important!
Different things work for different people. If you find you try lots of coping methods that are not working — please ask for help!