There are times when we are feeling exhausted, stressed, overwhelmed or we just need a break. Sometimes you may need to relax or recharge. These times call for a mental health day. A mental health day is a day where we take time off of work or our regular duties to refresh or recharge. It is taking a day to distress and to take care of you and your mental health. It’s important to remember that mental health is health! I know from experience that sometimes taking a mental health day can bring guilt however I have learned that you cannot be at your best if your “cup is empty”, sometimes that one or two day break can bring great shifts and renewal and YOU ARE WORTH IT! So once you make the arrangements for a day off – what should you do?
Mental health days may look different for different people. It may also look different on different days. I would say on your mental health day should be spent doing what makes you happy or doing what your body needs to help you recharge. This could mean having extra sleep, taking a day at the spa, going to see a doctor/your mental health practitioner or having fun!
Here are some mental health day ideas….
- Do not set your alarm! Sleep until you wake up naturally & take a nap in the afternoon too if you need it!
- Find your favorite blanket, treat yourself to your favorite foods and hang out on the couch watching your favourite movies and shows.
- Spend time in nature – alone or with a friend- on a trail, at the beach or at a favorite park. Soak it in and notice the beauty around you.
- Get creative with writing or other artwork.
- Catch up at home on things that are behind or were being neglected
- Go to the gym or to a favorite exercise class
- Get a massage
- Get a haircut or treat yourself to a manicure and/or pedicure
- Catch up with an old friend
- Listen to your favourite music
- Read a good book
- Have a visit with your doctor or other trusted confidante
- Spend time in prayer or meditation
These are just a few ideas and in the end, your choice of how to spend a mental health day is yours. Do what makes you happy and do what you need to recharge and refresh. Enjoy and remember you and your mental health are worth it.