At some stage in our life we have been in a situation, whether its been that we have been given a deadline by our boss to complete a task by the end of the day, maybe because you connected with a new love interest and now he or she has gone MIA, or during the current COVID-19 lockdown being stuck at home for extended time periods can lead us to some unhealthy behaviours which in turn can include overeating due to stress and boredom.
During times of stress it is a normal reaction for us to turn to comfort eating. Long term stress eating can have a negative affect on your health and wellbeing.
Here are some ways to help combat Stress Eating
- Keeping a journal
- Drinking a tall glass of water
- Going out for a walk
- Looking at taking up a class such as painting, drawing, a language
- Chewing a piece of gum
- Practice relaxation techniques such as meditation, stretching or yoga
- Look at starting that hobby or course that you have always wanted to do
- Connect with family and friends
Amanda Ogden is from Sydney Australia, and has spent the past 13 years working within the welfare industry in both administration and case management assisting people with mental health issues, mild intellectual disabilities, acquired brain injuries, drug & alcohol, homelessness gain employment. She also loves travelling, creating jewellery, music, friends and family